Online detection of chlorophyll concentration, algae classes and photosynthetic activity.
The bbe AlgaeOnlineAnalyser offers :
• online chlorophyll analysis for measuring stations as well as for laboratory use
• simultaneous determination of chlorophyll concentration, photosynthetic activity of chlorophyll and transmission
• determination of different algae classes by excitation using coloured LEDs; calculation of the content of green algae, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), brown algae (diatoms and dinoflagellates) and cryptophytes
• direct measurement without sample preparation by filtration or dilution.
• information on the photosynthetic activity of chlorophyll due to different patterns of excitation, correlated to oxygen evolution; the commonly used fluorescence signals f0, f, fm re used for calculation according to the Genty parameter method
• yellow substances measurement (CDOM) to correct the calculation of the content of chlorophyll
• integrated cleaning unit in the sensor-prevents growth of biofilms during prolonged measurements
• batch mode :
instrument can be switched from flow-through measurement to single measurement mode for laboratory operation
The fluorescence of algae via excitation by visible light mainly depends on the chlorophyll-a, a common pigment in the plant world. The presence of other pigments indicates different algae classes. The interaction of these different pigments with chlorophyll-a results in a special excitation spectrum for taxonomic algae classes.
The special patterns of this algal fluorescence - so-called fingerprints - are used in bbe fluorometers for the qualification of different algae classes. The light sources for the excitation are LEDs with selected wavelengths. The fingerprints of four algae classes and for yellow substances are pre-defined in the instrument. However, user-specific fingerprints can also be defined.
The physiological performance of the algae (algae activity) on photosynthesis is determined by exitation using additional background light. The resulting variable fluorescence allows the calculation of algae activity given as the Genty parameter. This Genty parameter represents the quantum yield and is also an expression of the vitality of the algae.
Advantages of the AlgaeOnlineAnalyser
• quick, simple chlorophyll determination using algal class analysis
• determination of the photosynthetic activity of algae
• simple operation
• different communication possibilities also for industrial applications:
• up to 8 alarm outputs (potential-free contacts)
• up to 16 analog outputs (4-20mA)
• serial interface for data transfer
• Ethernet - access to data from an external PC
• USB connector for data transfer
• optional ModBus connector
• direct measurement without sample preparation via filtration, dilution
• integrated cleaning unit reduces maintenance to a minimum
• touch screen display
• PC operation using bbe AOA software
• water temperature measurement Extension for the AlgaeOnlineAnalyser A regulated inflow of sample water enhances the versatility of the AlgaeOnlineAnalyser: a valve switches alternatively between two tubes of the AlgaeOnlineAnalyser. The cycle time is controlled by the AOA software. This new feature enables the user to take water samples from different depths or locations, and measures algae chlorophyll online at high frequency. The records allow the user to draw conclusions about the success of the measurements in order to reduce or enhance microalgae in process water, cooling water or a culture.
• waterway analysis and assessment
• environmental assessment
• intake monitoring
• chemical assessment
• dam monitoring
• cooling water and production water monitoring
• limnological work
• research and education
The database software is used to record and analyse the data. The most important features are...
• saving of data and parameters at any time
• graphic display of all measurement values
• online display in LAN
• calibration of the instrument
• parameterisation of the measurement
• data export to EXCEL and to text files
• print function
• subsequent recalibration of algae classes