Chlorophyll Fluorometers and Toxicity Monitoring - Chlorophyll
Spectrofluorometers with algae classification detect green algae, blue-green algae, diatoms and cryptophytes: directly in the water, in the monitoring station and in the lab.
The chlorophyll measuring instrument with algae class differentiation
Depth profiling from a boat on a lake
The bbe FluoroProbe is a highly sensitive measuring instrument for the analysis of chlorophyll with algae class determination. Individual profiles during the measurements are taken for green algae, blue-green algae/cyanobacteria, diatoms/dinoflagellates and cryptophytes.
This enables the analysis of the occurrence and distribution of e.g. blue-green algae on site without the necessity of the laboratory. Possible interferences due to yellow substances are eliminated by an integrated CDOM correction factor.
Chlorophyll in vivo measurement can be affected by particulate matter in the water body. Therefore a correction is essential when the turbidity is too high. The bbe FluoroProbe with the optional transmission sensor provides automatic turbidity correction using the latest bbe++ software extension. Turbidity correction with the FluoroProbe makes chlorophyll determination even more reliable.
The bbe FluoroProbe can quickly and reliably determine the chlorophyll content of different algae classes down to a depth of 100m (optionally 1000 m). The measurement data can be displayed in real time on a PC or be stored in the probe for subsequent evaluation.
The fluorescence of algae (emission at approx. 700nm wavelength) due to excitation by visible light mainly depends on the presence of chlorophyll-a, a common pigment in the plant world. The occurrence of other pigments is typical for the different algae classes. Interactions between these different pigment systems with chlorophyll-a result in a special excitation spectrum for the taxonomical algae classes.
Depth profiles from Westensee (lake near Kiel, Germany)
Advantages of the FluoroProbe
• determination of green algae, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), diatoms and cryptophytes
• up to 4 other algae classes can be calibrated by the user
• up to 4 measurements per second
• yellow substances correction and compensation of interferences by UV-LED
• turbidity correction
• reduces the number of required microscopic laboratory examinations
• internal rechargeable batteries
• internal datalogger
• PC software for data analysis
• options : pressure sensor, transmission measurement
• environmental monitoring
• early warning system for algae blooms in limnological and marine waterways
• bathing water monitoring of blue-green algae (cyanobacteria)
• drinking water monitoring of (toxic) blue-green algae
• pre-warning of the occurrence of poisonous algae (e.g. cyanobacteria toxins)
• detection of chlorophyll and other pigments such as phycocyanine and phycoerythrine, fucoxanthine and peridinine
• aquaculture monitoring
• dam monitoring
• algae distribution in the Arctic/Antarctic
• oceanographic research
• mooring, experiments, continuous analysis
• limnological research
• research and teaching
• tracer measurements