Continuous analysis of fish behavioural patterns for the detection of toxins in water.
The bbe Fish Toximeter observes the behaviour of fish in a tank under the influence of a stream of "sample" water with the aid of a camera and continuous computer-assisted image analysis. This uncomplicated but highly sensitive instrument is designed to detect toxic substances in e.g. rivers, reservoirs, water supply systems, water treatment plant intakes and sewers.
The instrument is based on the development of Extended Dynamic Daphnia Tests (EDDT), a tried and tested detection method in Europe and other parts of the world. Continuous biological monitoring with the bbe Fish Toximeter enables rapid detection of toxic substances in water and provides a real-time, online early warning system.
This unique instrument enables the user to observe and analyse toxic contaminations, record them and react quickly to them. The bbe Fish Toximeter is well-suited for the rapid detection of wilful or negligent damage to water systems. It is also conceived as a long-term monitor of water quality during "strategic" analysis.
Technology for water-quality monitoring
Continuous analysis of live video images enables rapid determination of the behaviour and health of the fish. Toxicity computations and assessments are based on the measurement of the following behavioural parameters:
• swim speed
• behaviour (height, turns, circular motion, etc.)
• determination of size
• number of active fish
• location of fish in the aquarium
Each type of change in behaviour of the fish is investigated and analysed. The so-called "Toxic Index", summarised from all behavioural parameters, is calculated permanently. If the toxic index exceeds a pre-determined value for a certain amount of time, an alarm is triggered. For this, several behavioural parameters must show deviations.
Advantages of the Fish Toximeter
• test results with fish can be used for comparisons with humans
• evaluation of 10 behavioural parameters means an error-free alarm detection
• no sample preparation necessary
• optional dechlorination for use with chlorinated drinking water
• effective public relations presentation
• splash-protected touch screen monitor
• multiple possibilities of connection to a control centre
• drinking water supply protection
• waterway quality analysis and assessment
• dam monitoring
• intake surveillance
• risk analysis
The integrated software has three main tasks:
• control of the instrument
• measurement of temperature and flow
• automatic feeding
• control of outputs
• control and monitoring of dechlorination
• image analysis and calculation of behavioural parameters
• detection of active fish
• tracking of fish movements and calculation of swim speed
• detection and processing of fish locations
• calculation of alarms
• saving and display of measurement values
• saving of measurement data and the instrument status
• saving of camera images
• control of remote operation
Data evaluation software for an office PC is supplied.